Caleb in Mexico

Spicy Adventures South of the Rio Bravo!

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Familiarity and Returning

Frequently in Mexico I found myself longing for something familiar. For one thing, Mexican food that I know is apparently not actually “Mexican” food. That’s fine, I still liked it, but didn’t recognize the things on the menu. One day Josh and I were just about to lose it, so we went into town for dinner. Josh went to McDonalds and I went to Burger King. I think there is something to be said for product control and reproducible results. I didn’t need it always, I don’t need it always here, but it’s nice to know what I’m going to get sometimes. Chocolate is not really available in Mexico like it is here. We ventured into a supermarket one day and spent 30 minutes trying to find some actual chocolate. We didn’t really find any, BUT we did find Dr. Pepper. (Which is in the running to be my vice)…it was made with cane sugar, like all pop there. It tasted great! … Then I got a big-time stomachache like little kids do when they eat all the Halloween candy on Nov. 1st. Sweet pain. All in all, we were ready to leave when January 26th eventually rolled around. For me it was not that I was uncomfortable in Mexico, but just that I was ready to see how this experience would play out. I didn’t have any returning culture shock, it was a nice 76 degrees here and I wore shorts and went for a long walk.
posted by Caleb at 8:57 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home