Caleb in Mexico
Spicy Adventures South of the Rio Bravo!
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Uncomfort is the new comfort...
One day I was sitting on a bench in the city square in Cuernavaca. It was dusk and the square was pretty empty. No one was within at least 20 feet of me and I was enjoying the personal space. When out of NOWHERE, a giant crowd of teenagers descend upon me! They just surrounded me, sat by me on the bench, and started setting something up 2 feet in front of me. I'll be honest. I was pretty freaked out. They were dressed like punks and speaking too fast for me to understand (although no one was talking or even acknowledging my presence on the bench). Then they started dancing. Break Dancing actually. Before I knew it, I had my own personal "Step Up" happening right in front of me. It was insane and exciting. One kid introduced himself to me, his name was Maurice, he spoke pretty good english, and told me that they do this a lot. He learned english from our music (which is how I'm learning spanish)...but he had a question. "What does "get sprung" mean?" he said. I told him that it had a few meanings and explained them as best I could. I don't really know what "get sprung" means. I haven't been in middle school for a while. Then I had to leave and meet up with Josh, but not before deciding that people are usually nice and I should try not to freak out when sporatic break dancing happens near me. haha.
posted by Caleb at 11:00 PM

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home