Caleb in Mexico
Spicy Adventures South of the Rio Bravo!
Monday, February 18, 2008
Music To My Ears
I really love music. This is not new, not to me, not to you, not to the Austin area libraries. My folder of Spanish music had been embarrassingly meager. How is it that I know more about music of Finland and Turkey than I do about Mexico? How is it that my favorite band is from France, my favorite singer Israeli, and yet I only know a few artists south of the border? Well that has all changed. haha. There is a thriving informal economy in Mexico that enabled me to sample many popular bands and find some great new music. I’ve included some of the songs throughout this blog, check them out. I knew that my suspicion was correct that Mexican music did not always involve a trumpet and accordion, but I didn’t have much to support that hypothesis. It turns out that Mexico has a recording industry that, in many ways, casts a wider net than ours. I searched and found Mexican pop music, Mexican rock music, and Mexican folk music. As my parting gift for my host family I left them a CD I made of various country-western songs of which I approve. Music is a great way to start the conversation; it proves that you don’t need to understand all the words.
posted by Caleb at 9:04 PM

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home